Phase 2: Discover
Introduction to Discover
This section "Phase 2: Discover" is part of the Accelerate framework document, available as Word or PDF on the Accelerate downloads page.
The stages in Discover are:
- Explore the business ecosystem – increase understanding of the business environment
- Elaborate the customer view – expand the business case evidence regarding customers
- Elaborate the product – initiate the product vision, roadmap, and release plan
- Engage the coalition of the willing – engage a cross-agency group
- Elaborate the solution architecture – develop the conceptual solution architecture
- Elaborate the business case – expand the business case developed during Prepare
- Gain project approval – present the proposal to the stakeholders
- Preparing for Alpha – prepare for Alpha, as much as practicable before funding.
The Discover stages are inter-related, and may be carried out in parallel with different people leading each stage.
Important: Teams producing output must have common members and there must be no independent workstreams or individuals.
The purpose of the Discover phase is to:
- get a clear understanding of the design and how the project will progress if funding is approved
- expand and present the business case
- begin preparations for Alpha.
The purpose is achieved by:
- understanding the business ecosystem, customers’ situation, and the business operating model
- creating the product vision and product roadmap
- building a supporting coalition
- designing a proposed solution
- carrying out the assurance processes tailored appropriately for Accelerate and agreed with the sponsor, following the all-of-government assurance guidelines provided on ICT projects and programmes available at www.ict.govt.nz (search for “project assurance”).
- creating a business case.
Roles for Discover
Discover involves a small number of people (typically 4-9) forming a formal team for 8-12 weeks, to validate and elaborate the initial view developed during Prepare (see the Figure below). Given the need to communicate with multiple stakeholders the shortest practicable period is 4 weeks.
Discover expands the Prepare team with:
- representatives from participating organisations
- a business case writer
- additional design and specialist technical resources (if necessary)
- resources for technical and business prototypes (if necessary).
Other roles that support this team include:
- benefits owner
- primary assurance contact
- EPMO (via the primary assurance contact).
Figure: Possible roles during Discover
The combination and number of each role depends on the nature of the product. Contact your Accelerate navigator to discuss your team requirements for Discover.